Ada and I decided to work together since we were already in the same PComp group. She came up with another super lame joke (which I absolutely love).
We thought this would be easy to make and turned out we were wrong!
Fuse was a bit of a pain so I tried to make my character as simple as she could be. Maximo is pretty convenient to do a quick animation but it was soooooo hard to find the gestures I wanted. We decided to cut most parts of the story and only do the scene where the girl’s eyeball falls off and she tries to look for it.
Unreal was really complicated and it was so hard to navigate the world you’re building. I spent a lot of time trying to make the scene look nice. We downloaded some of the assets online and just applied textures that come with starter content to them. We spent a lot of time trying to work out the camera angle and sequences. We also had a lot of trouble with the characters jumping back to the previous position when they start new animation. Since we couldn’t find the solution even after following some tutorials on internet, we decided to just use camera angle to fix it. We used Premier to combine the scenes together.
For the 2nd assignment, we have to create an animation that tells a story with After Effect. Marianne encouraged us to work with different people from last time so Nun and I decided to team up for this one. We have a week to come up with the storyboard and another 2 weeks to finish our piece.
Since both Nun and I agreed that we wanted to do something weird, we chose to focus on the visual first and we would come up with a storyline after that. I showed her a Japanese manga about a guy who got his eyes replaced to have a visual of a fly. We liked the idea of human body morphing into animals so we decided to do a short story about a mysterious creature that would morph into the body of the things he consumes. We worked on the storyboard together and was able to wrap the story up in 2 hours. However we did cut out some parts of the story since we didn’t have enough time to finish them all.
How flies see
Storyboard & Character Design
We tried to make the protagonist looks as simple as possible. We drew him in Illustrator and edit him into various creatures in Photoshop.
we learned how to use After Effect in class and worked on the animation separately. I did the first half of the story. AE was not as hard as I expected but it did require a lot of time and effort. I was struggling a lot with camera angle and couldn’t get it to work the way I wanted. I also needed to redo some scenes a couple of times due to camera problems.
Here’s the finished video!
If we had more time I’d definitely like to improve the look of the protagonist and also make his movement more natural.
First assignment for animation class is to make a 30 second stop motion video. The story we used for this video is based on a joke about a tomato family where Papa tomato squeezed one of his children into ketchup because the kid kept lagging behind.
After we all agreed on the story, we decided to include more characters in the video to make it funnier. We stuck googly eyes to carrots, a bell pepper and an onion and placed them around the scene as witnesses. The broccolis were cut in half and turned into trees.
We had problems with lighting and focusing at first but after we got the hang of it everything went smoothly and we could finish everything in 3 hours. For the editing, we got sound samples from https://freesound.org/. We also used our own voice recordings for the conversation between Papa tomato and his kids.